The Game that Took My Heart.

The Game that Took my Heart was Persona 5.

Listen to this while reading!

*Note: this will be my magnum opus so i will add to each component when i feel like it.


    What constitutes your best game? Enjoyment? Pleasure? Satisfaction? All these virtues have to seamlessly combine to create what in my view is called a "Great" game. While most people's favorite games differ and in the popular meta I think that multiplayer games are what are the most popular. Yet a game that I think is constantly overlooked in the greater medium of videogames is Atlus's masterpiece Persona 5 Royal. A riveting single-player game filled with acid-jazz, turn-based gameplay, an interesting premise, a likable ensemble that continuously grows constitutes an immersion experience that took my heart both literally and metaphorically. This game takes me away from the monotonous nature of life and for 250+ hours I sat on a chair and played this goddamn game to my heart's content. So! Why is it my favorite game of all time? and why will it always be? 


Well first, we got to talk about the music.

Shoji Meguro is an amazing composer. From Persona 3 to Persona 5 there are distinct influences in their creation in relation to cultural context. Persona 3 has French house influences, Persona 4 is focused on pop, but Persona 5 encompasses Jazz and style. Just listen closely to the song you clicked on earlier, this is just elevator music in conversations in a Persona 5 spinoff and it's entrancing. I actually listen to this while walking or relaxing, Why? Because I can and because it fits the mood. Persona 5's music is applicable to a day to day life and while playing the game the added value of this inclusion on serves to place in its game-world. To show my point, let's listen to another song that plays in the store in Persona 5, particularly a clinic. This is probably the best song I've ever listened to while listening to the doctor tell me about my ailments. It's unique in a day to day life and provides a sense of heroism that you the protagonist is obligated to. Now, another example of perfection is in the opening sequence of Persona 5 Royal. Filled with illustrious colors, fervent action, and symbolism (play the game to find out why) it is simply just art in its purest form. I genuinely cannot understand how an individual can manage to not be entranced by the game with this alone. There are a host of songs that I fell in love with aside from these such as Sunset Bridge, Break it Down, No More What Ifs, New Beginning, Life Goes on.. ETC!!! BUT 

My favorite track without a doubt is Beneath the Mask -rain-. I envision myself in Tokyo every single time this track plays, the calming atmosphere it brings while on the subway is unmatched. Next time you are riding public transportation especially with grim weather I highly recommend listening to this. It's a form of escapism that I crave! 


That's all! For now...






Comments